Saturday, June 15, 2013

Baked Kale Chips and Parsnips

BAKED KALE CHIPS
This is my first time to bake Kale into chips and I have to say that they turned out pretty great. I first tried them at my Mothers. I had seen several posts about these wonderful baked goodness but was skeptical to try it/them. But after trying my mothers, of course I was sold. I tweaked the recipe from online and from her a little bit and went with it. The flavor kind-of reminds me of that small piece of fried okra that was cooked just a little too much. Maybe you will think different but that is my take.

Here is my rendition........the amount here was just because that is what I had available.

I bunch of Fresh Kale
1 tablespoon or so of McCormick fresh minced garlic, I use the bottled kind ( as seen in pic below)
1 tsp of Kosher salt or Sea salt
1 tbsp or so of McCormick Garlic & Herb Salt Free Seasoning, my twist on flavor, and possibly what gave it the similarity to fried okra, who knows?!(as seen in pic below)
EVOO, drizzled over top and enough to cover every little inch of Kale.....

Set oven to 300* and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Bake about 25 minutes, turning the Kale about half way through baking, The Kale will turn a medium brown and must be turned to get even baking and crispiness. If you do not turn the Kale it will be slightly chewy on the one side that does not lie against the cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.


BAKED PARSNIPS

And next for the Parsnips.......
Parsnips look like a white carrot. they have a smell really close to carrots and the same texture. I take them and peel them like a carrot and slice them up really thin and in long slices like French fries. After they are baked they taste like a fried potato/French fry with an aromatic scent of carrot. It sounds weird but they really are great. I add a little Cayenne pepper for a kick.

Used here
3 whole peeled Parsnips
1 tbsp of McCormick minced garlic
EVOO drizzled across top, enough to cover and coat
1 tsp Cayenne pepper
1 tbsp or so of McCormick Garlic & Herb Salt Free Seasoning, my twist on flavor

Set oven to 300* and line baking sheet with parchment paper.  Slice parsnips to your liking, I did mine like French fries and small bite sized pieces. Coat parsnips with EVOO and seasonings. Place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and spread out evenly so that they get baked evenly. Cook about 25 to 35 minutes depending out preferred texture. I baked mine about 35 minutes so that they are crisp on the outside and soft on the inside like French fries. They will have a little kick due to the Cayenne pepper but you can omit that if you don't like pepper or that extra hot kick. I haven't found a great dip for them yet but you can experiment and find what fits you the best!

ENJOY!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment